Monday, December 29, 2014

Spending Year End with Author Kris Thompson

As we come to the end of another year, I'm attempting to close out the remainder of interviews and one more review over the next couple of days.  Today's interview I was sorely remiss in posting, as the intent was for a November date.  However, this way all of the new Nook, Kindle, and numerous other eReader owners who got them for Christmas can take advantage of learning about a fabulous new author.

Kris Thompson has penned a gritty psychological thriller that is sure to keep you up at night.  Join me in welcoming her to the blog to tell us about her writing process and debut novel BLACK ROSE.

DAB:  Welcome Kris!  What was the catalyst for this novel’s premise?

KT:      When reading crime stories you always get the cop or detective's point of view, but as a reader I was always left wondering about the victim and their family. So I decided to write a book that centered around not only the victim, but the family's experience as well. I also wanted to write about a group of young women who come together and find strength, not only within themselves, but with each other. So many times you see young girls fighting against each other, and I wanted to write about how powerful women could be if they worked together.

DAB:  Preach on, sister!  I'm with you there.  Do you have a character(s) in your novel with whom you closely identify?

KT:      There is a little of me in each female character in this book. I don't think I would have been able to connect with any of them if I didn't put myself in them in some way. If I had to pick just one it would be my lead character, Lillian, but they're all awesome in my opinion.

DAB:  Were there any characters you found difficult to write?

KT:      The villain was extremely hard to write. As a female I find it hard to write in a man's POV, let alone a psychotic male POV. I had to do a lot of research about serial killers to get the feel right. It was terrifying but very mind blowing at the same time.

DAB:  I can imagine.  It's really difficult getting into a twisted psyche.  How long did it take for you to craft this novel?

KT:      My book was four years in the making. It originally began as a fan fiction and was finished for a long time. My publishing house had been after me for years to publish it, but I wasn't confident in myself yet. After I turned 30 I felt ready and confident enough to move forward with my story and writing career.

DAB:  Tell us about the moment you received your first real fan correspondence.

KT:      It was from an author that I admire, so I was over the moon. She actually called me and told me how much she loved reading the manuscript and that she couldn't wait to buy the finished product. I still don't think I'm over the shock.

DAB:  I'll bet you needed someone to pinch you, huh?  Tell us about a typical day in your writing world.

KT:      As a single mom of three young kids, a majority of my writing happens after they went to bed. I always have a small pad of paper and a pen around, so if I get ideas I'll write them down and get back to it later, but there have been many nights where I didn't get much sleep because I had to get up early to take the kids to school. It's hard because there would be moments when inspiration is churning in my head, but when you have kids you can't just stop everything to get those words out. It was a difficult balance, but I made it through only slightly unscathed. LOL

DAB:  My home too is scattered with pads and pens.  How long did your novel take to put to bed?

KT:      Over a year. My poor editing team, God bless them, they really had their hands full with my book. It's a hard subject to write about, so it took a while to finish. I think we all deserved a long vacation once we were done with it.

DAB:  Have you ever experienced writer's block?

KT:      Only during the editing process. When I submitted the manuscript my mind kinda shut off for a few months. The book was very emotionally exhausting, so it was almost a relief to be done. But when the publishing house was ready to edit I had a hard time jumping back into the mindset.

DAB:  I'll bet.  When I write, I have particular composers and music that gets me in the mood for certain scenes and characters.  Have you ever written to music?

KT:      Oh yes. I have to listen to classical music when I write. I can't listen to music with words while I'm writing because I find myself typing out the lyrics. I'll listen to a specific song to help get me in the mood, but when I start typing it's always classical.

DAB:  Mine's orchestral movie soundtracks.  I'd be singing along if there were words!  There's the eternal debate whether to outline or not.  What is your preference?

KT:      Personally, I write off the cuff, but I have learned during the editing process of my first book that it is a good idea to have an outline. I learned that the hard way. As a writer you sometimes forget little things, even your editor(s) might not catch them, so it's a good idea to at least have a small outline on the side to help you and your editing team be on the same page.

DAB:  Agreed.  How do you handle negative feedback about your novel(s)?

KT:      This is going to sound really silly, but I love negative reviews. It's weird, I know, but I have really thick skin so it's never bothered me. When the story was a fan fiction I was being ripped apart left and right. I even had some people tell me I was going to burn in hell and that they hope I'd die. It was nuts. But it never bothered me because at the end of the day those are just words. It doesn't stop me from being a mom, a writer, or a provider to my family. I treated them as a mini comedy roast, laughed it off, and thanked them for taking the time to read and review. Even negative reviews are better then no reviews, right?

DAB:  Oh how I wish more authors shared your attitude!  Care to tell us what is next on your writing horizon?

KT:      I'm currently working on a young adult paranormal romance trilogy. I have no idea when it will come out, but after writing something so dark I felt I needed to write something completely different. It has been fun writing in a genera that I have never written before. I'm very excited.

DAB:  You'll have to update us on when you finish the first in this new series.  Now’s your chance – give us the final plug for BLACK ROSE.

KT:      If you like thrill, suspense, crime, drama, and just a little bit of romance then my debut novel Black Rose is the book for you. I am extremely excited to see what everyone thinks, and I can't wait for November 13th to get here.

Thanks so much, Kris, for joining us and providing a glimpse into BLACK ROSE.  Now I can hardly wait to find the time to read it in 2015.

Book Blurb:
Lillian Locke had the perfect life in Boulder, Colorado. She had the boyfriend of her dreams, a wonderful
family, awesome friends, and a spot on the track team at a great college. There wasn’t anything life could throw at her that she couldn’t get through . . . until he found her.

Lillian never could have imagined being abducted and chained up in the dark. Worse yet, being just one of many girls kidnapped and held captive by a madman. All she can do now is hope that she survives the brutality of their captor long enough to find a way to free herself and her new captive friends.

When Richard Haines’ girlfriend goes missing, he makes it his personal mission to find the woman he loves and bring her home to the safety of their loved ones. Seeking the help of friends and family, Richard abandons everything except for his pursuit of Lillian. But when someone else close to Richard goes missing, and the bodies of the abducted girls start showing up in the hills outside Boulder, the only thing he can do is hope that he finds her before it is too late.

If BLACK ROSE sounds like an intriguing read for you, dear readers, pick up a copy by clicking here on AMAZON, BARNES AND NOBLE, or by visiting the publisher's website.

Author Bio:
Kris Thompson is a veteran of the US Navy and single mother of three. When she's not knitting scarves, chasing her children around or baking, you'll find her enjoying a good book or writing down notes for her own upcoming stories. Writing has been a passion for Kris for many years, and seeing those stories printed on paper is a dream come true.

Be sure and check out her blog  http://kristhompsonauthor.blogspot.com/  for additional insight into why Kris wrote BLACK ROSE.


No comments:

Post a Comment